Sep 11
cat next to lilies

Are Lilies Toxic To Cats?

Don’t let Lilies beauty fool you, they are highly toxic to cats. In fact, eating the smallest amount can cause their kidneys to fail, and even with intensive therapy, sadly, many cats die.

All parts of the plant including the pollen are considered toxic and younger cats seem more susceptible because they are more likely to mouth and chew at plants.

Signs of lily toxicity are seen within several hours of eating the plant and include:

  • Depression
  • Loss of appetite
  • Vomiting (you may see some of the plant in this)

Later signs are due to kidney damage and include:

  • Reduced or no pee being produced
  • Dehydration
  • Sadly, death

If you even suspect your cat may have ingested lilies you need to take them to the Veterinarian immediately, because starting treatment as early as possible is vital to your cat’s chance of survival.

Prevention is key – keeping Lilies in the home when you have a kitty is playing Russian roulette with their lives- don’t do it! Politely decline all lilies as gifts and make sure there are none in your backyard.

Want help? Chat with our Vets.

Our 5 years + experienced Aussie Vets are on stand-by to help your pet via video and text from 6am - Midnight, Sydney Australia time every day.

Dr. Claire Jenkins

Claire is a QLD graduate with over 15 years experience as a neighbourhood Veterinarian in Australia and the UK. Animal lover and the founder of Vetchat, born from a passion to help pet carers everywhere access trusted advice earlier, for healthier, happier pets. Grateful to be carer to her beautiful Red-dog.