Blog

Chance of dog being poisoned by licking a surface treated with insect spray

Posted by Dr Claire Jenkins on Feb 28, 2018 1:42:02 PM
Dr Claire Jenkins

 

It depends on the spray but most of the regular over the counter insect sprays (the kind you buy at the supermarket) are pyrethrin based and have a very low concentration of the active ingredient (<1%, a side note: this is less than is in cat and dog flea medications).

For a dog, levels less than 1% are very unlikely to cause a problem. After all, it’s the dose that makes the poison.

If the spray was still wet (i.e. just applied) potential complications from these sprays are an upset tummy (signs like drooling, vomiting) when it’s licked. So whilst it’s unlikely to be a problem at all - if Jodie is not behaving normally, is drooling, or vomiting, do take her to your local bricks + mortar vet for a hands on examination.

Read more on fly spray and pets here

Want help? Chat with our vets

Our experienced Aussie vets are online between 6am-11pm daily, so let’s get an action plan in place for your fur kid. Get an appointment for a video consult or start a chat within minutes. 

Topics: insect sprays, pyrethrin, Toxins