Tips to help your pup beat the heat:
- Ensure they have a cool, shady area outside and when it's hot it’s ideal to bring them indoors with air-conditioners and/or fans
- Multiple large containers of fresh, cool water- you can add some ice cubes in the morning
- Walks in the very early morning or evening/night only
- Avoid rides in the car but if you must make sure the air conditioner is on and its cool prior to getting in + never leave them unattended.
- A small amount of water in a plastic shell for your dog to sit in, you can also use a hose to gently wet their coat
- For a cool doggy treat get an old ice-cream container and fill it with a little dry dog food, a little Vegemite and the rest water- put it in the freezer and it’s ready to go the next morning. Keeps them cool and helps with boredom- two birds one stone! (note: just like chewing at bones, chewing ice can risk the fracture of teeth).
Share and take care of your pets on hot days. Heat stroke is easily prevented.
Want help? Chat with our vets
Our experienced Aussie vets are online between 6am-11pm daily, so let’s get an action plan in place for your fur kid. Get an appointment for a video consult or start a chat within minutes.