Aloe vera has been used for thousands of years. It has antioxidant and antibacterial properties, and helps increase speed of skin healing.
However, the plant is considered toxic to dogs and cats. Well, part of it anyway. When you break open the leaf you see two things, the green/clear gel in the middle and the small amounts of white liquid around the periphery.
The gel in the middle is non-toxic.
The white liquid around the edges is toxic. This contains saponins and when eaten these will cause diarrhoea and possibly vomiting and more (ranging from mild to severe), the severity of the signs are dependent upon the amount eaten, but luckily, the aloe vera plant doesn’t seem to be tasty for our furry friends.
So bottom line is, don’t be offering the plant as a food, or breaking and rubbing the leaf on your pets wound, but selectively using the gel part only on the affected skin can be soothing and beneficial.
Indications for use may include allergic skin conditions and hot spots, in conjunction with other treatments.
Be aware if you are buying aloe vera gel that it needs be pure aloe, as many of the gels are predominantly a carrier with very little aloe. The carriers could be toxic to your mate. If it’s anything but pure aloe you need to ensure your pup cant lick the gel that you’ve applied, such as with a buster collar or a kong cloud.
Want help? Chat with our vets
Our experienced Aussie vets are online between 6am-11pm daily, so let’s get an action plan in place for your fur kid. Get an appointment for a video consult or start a chat within minutes.