Sep 22
dog looking sad & unwell

Grape And Sultana Toxicity In Dogs

Grapes, sultanas and raisins (which are just forms of dried grapes) are toxic to dogs.

What’s in them, as well as the amount eaten to cause toxicity, is unknown. Ingestion of only a few sultanas may cause toxicity in some dogs, whereas be tolerated by other dogs.

The toxin in grapes, sultanas and raisins acts on your fur kids kidney and reduces its ability to work. You may not even see any signs of toxicity for 1-2 days.

Some of the signs of this toxicity might be:

    • Vomiting
    • Diarrhoea
    • Lethargy
    • Depression
    • Increased drinking
    • Decreased, or increased peeing

When should I go the vet?
Treatment of the kidney disease is difficult and not always successful. For this reason and the fact that we don’t know how much of the grapes, sultanas or raisins will cause a reaction in each pet its always best to see the Vet as soon as possible regardless of the amount consumed.

As always with toxins prevention is key – when grapes are being prepared or served, or when toddlers are eating sultanas you need keep your pet away- have them safely confined and only let them back to the food area when all potential toxins are packed away. This is one situation where your buddy can’t be a vacuum cleaner!

Cautionary note:
There are so many other food toxins in the home; the following is not an exhaustive list but the ones more commonly encountered. More ‘human’ food NOT to give to dogs:

  • Onions/garlic- note that these are VERY poisonous- raw or cooked
  • Macadamia nuts
  • Avocado
  • Xylitol
  • Chocolate – more here.
  • Caffeine
  • Alcohol

About The Author

Claire is a QLD graduate with 19 years experience as a neighbourhood Veterinarian in Australia and the UK. Animal lover and the founder of VetChat, born from a passion to help pet carers everywhere access trusted advice earlier, for healthier, happier pets. Grateful to be carer to her beautiful Red-dog.