Sep 14
pug rolling in the grass

Is Fertiliser Toxic To Cats Or Dogs?

Fertilisers are toxic to both cats and dogs, however most cases of poisoning happen to dogs, mainly due to their scavenging nature.

Fertilisers generally contain nitrogen, phosphorous and potassium and can vary in what is added to the fertiliser such as agents to kill plants, insects and fungi.

Signs seen after ingestion depend on the type of fertiliser (its additives), the concentration and the amount eaten. For example, a large dog eating a small amount on the grass is less of a problem than a small dog eating it straight out of the bag.

Some of the signs might be:

  • Vomiting
  • Diarrhoea
  • Salivation
  • Lethargy
  • Stomach pain

It’s best to keep your fur kids inside or away from the area that a fertiliser is being used, right up until the time the fertiliser is absorbed into the soil. Always apply it to the lawn carefully as per instructions on the bag.

If you suspect your mate has ingested fertiliser contact a Veterinarian as soon as possible so you can get the best advice based on your situation, about what to do next.

Want help? Chat with our Vets.

Our 5 years + experienced Aussie Vets are on stand-by to help your pet via video and text from 6am - Midnight, Sydney Australia time every day.

Dr. Claire Jenkins

Claire is a QLD graduate with over 15 years experience as a neighbourhood Veterinarian in Australia and the UK. Animal lover and the founder of Vetchat, born from a passion to help pet carers everywhere access trusted advice earlier, for healthier, happier pets. Grateful to be carer to her beautiful Red-dog.