Following on from first year costs, our vets dig up the common ongoing expenses you mightn’t have thought about.
The first year of bringing home your pet is always going to be expensive. There are lots of one-off costs that luckily won’t pop up again! That said, caring for a pet is for life, and with that comes a lifetime of expenses. We don’t just mean the food shop, either.
When it comes to looking after a pet for life, there are a lot of ongoing costs to consider (worth every penny, obviously):
- Parasite protection (fleas, ticks, heartworm, worms): Dogs depending on size and type $15-20. Cats $12. What’s needed will also depend on your location and physical environment.
- Cat Litter: Averages $10. Depends on type that suits your cat.
- Toys and treats: Let’s say $10-20. It’s important to change things up and keep play fun, so worth investing here.
- Food: Approx $60 for a dog and $30 for a cat. Cost here varies greatly according to the quality of the food provided.
- Pet insurance: If you’re worried about being able to afford large non-budgeted-for vet bills, this is a great option. Cost varies with the cover you need and the insurance you’ve selected, but on average, budget for about $40 per month.
2-3 monthly costs
- Grooming: This all depends on the length of hair, size of pet and whether you do frequent mini grooms or the full shebang. A ballpark range is $40-105.
- Council registration: Depending on your council, this could be $20 or more like $200. It’s also more expensive for non-desexed pets.
- Vaccinations and/or yearly vet: Even though some vaccines are triannual, there should still be an annual check up. Again, this varies depending on where you live––the real estate affect is active here. Ballpark cost is $70-$120.
- Obedience training: This ranges from $20 to $250 depending on format (local groups in parks vs. one-on-one help).
Want help? Chat with our vets
Our experienced Aussie vets are online between 6am-midnight daily, so let’s get an action plan in place for your fur kid. Get an appointment for a video consult or start a chat within minutes.